Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Little Over Half Way

I found this draft of a post as I was going through my files. Here were some thoughts of how camp was going… half way through.

I am well aware that I have not posted anything for a while, and I mean, it has been a while. It actually seems like it’s been years since I have had the time to post anything, or the will to actually write about what has gone on at camp, but God has been working in many ways.

We have successfully made it through two whole sessions and are in the middle of our third and final. There are some of us that are counting down the days until we go home because we desperately miss our family. Sometimes it just feels like there was never any life outside of Merri-Mac and Timberlake because the days last long, but go by quickly, and it has just been an eventful summer.

At the end of the first session, I came back from the airport to no campers, girls that I had spent four weeks with, were suddenly gone and unless I came back for their CIT year, I would never see them again. I didn’t get to say goodbye. This hurt, but there was more that was going on as well.

As I was trying to tell my Mom everything that was going on with coming home to no campers, she told me about things going on at home. Knowing that I had to keep my grandmother in my prayers, along with my uncle and his wife. Then there were things that would be easier if I wasn’t at camp, Madagascar, my car getting fixed and the fact that I would get updates from my team who were always in the gym, practicing, and getting time to themselves and to have team bonding.

Quickly in many conversations with my Mom, I have learned a big lesson this summer. This lesson, I have always known, but never really experienced. God can have plans, but man has free will. Despite this… God still has a plan.

Because of that, I took time to myself on my days and night off. Mostly to calm down my panicking for Madagascar, and settle my emotions down, although with this I decided to start getting in the word more than I already was. I had already learned that it was CRUCIAL that we stay in the word as camp counselors, if not for our campers, and our own relationship with God, but just to keep our energy up. I started figuring out how important it was to pray with my girls, and reading to them every night when they go to bed, and once again praying for them. Prayer and getting into the word is the most important part of the job.

However, the further we get into summer, the more I just want to go home. I love camp, but I miss home. It’s simple, not complicated at all. The calls to my parents have been getting more frequent, and often times I try to avoid this by hanging out with my girls, who are amazing.

One thing that God taught me in this time by myself that I took to myself, is what God has called me into. The goal since I was in eighth grade, was always to write books and be published before I graduate, that has always been the dream. Along with that, this last school year, I developed a real love for editing videos and putting them together, so much so that I decided to turn that into my minor. That is the goal, on my own, and I hope that God uses that, but there has been something he has always been calling me to, since a very young age.

Ministry, and here we are, finally in it.
 

Despite the lack of sleep, how sore my legs are, how terrible the camp food is starting to taste because it’s the same thing over and over again. It is good, I can’t wait to continue with the next session, and then continue ministry in Madagascar.

No comments:

Post a Comment