Friday, August 24, 2012

Passion and Purity: Lesson Three

Chapter 13: Material for Sacrifice
In this chapter, Elizabeth talks about their last couple of days before graduation from college. He would be going back to Oregon and she was going back to Oklahoma.
Very long distance.
While I was reading it, I didn’t want them to graduate. I didn’t want them to separate. I felt like I was more on their side than God’s side. It seemed unfair for two people who love each other so much would have to wait so long and go their separate ways. Isn’t this where God comes in and says, “Congrats, you have put my will above your own, you have sacrificed your time and your desires for me. Now I’m going to let you be together after all of this time!” However, that’s not what happened.
“Graduation was in the morning. In the afternoon, Jim drove me to the railroad station in Chicago to catch the Texas Chief. I wanted him to kick over all the traces, grab me in a rib-cracking embrace and kiss me without taking a breath till the train started to pull away. That was what part of me wanted. Another part said no.”
When I read that, I couldn’t help but smile… I wasn’t the only one that wanted something that I read in the books; saw in the movies to happen!
“It was a long night en route to Oklahoma.Springfield, KansasCity, Wichita. How many stops in between? I woke at each, trying to calculate how far I was from Jim now, picturing him sleeping soundly (dreaming, perhaps?) in the guest room of his aunt’s house, where he was to spend several weeks before going home to Oregon… At least Jim hadn’t seen the quivering lips or the tears. After we shook hands (clasped hands would be more accurate), he stood there while I walked down the platform almost the whole length of the train, to the car where my seat was. I waved to him in the distance as I boarded.”
Reading that passage is so powerful! At the age of seventeen, I’m still pure; I’ll tell you that now. I mean I have stumbled on a few things, and a few things have been taken away from me, but I don’t count them. Don’t worry it’s not my virginity! Just like… my first kiss… but I don’t count them because I wasn’t ready. I was too young and it wasn’t me to kissed them… they kissed me. I certainly did not kiss back.
Even then the desire to have a boyfriend, to be able to experience what a normal high school student, with a normal boyfriend would be like, comes to mind. It surfaces every now and then. For a while, I thought I was the only one with the desire to stay pure and not date… but at the same time wanted to know and wanted things to happen. I wanted my life to be like a love song, or a Nicolas Sparks book… but it isn’t. God has his own story for me. The thing in reading this is realizing that I’m not the only one who has these desires for everything to be dramatic and romantic, even though they aren’t.
See at the church I go to, not many of the girls are dating. None of them really show an interest in boys… I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with me. I go to public school, but don’t have a boyfriend-odd. I go to church, but I am boy crazy with no boyfriend -odd… it just doesn’t seem to add up. I felt like I was missing something.
I was right. I was missing that desire for God’s will to be my will in my life, but thanks to this book and a friend of mine, I have learned that. See about a week before I started reading this book I went to Louisville, Kentucky for National Fine Arts Festival and became really close with a friend of mine, Emma.
Remember the whole trust thing I said I have problems with?
Yeah, that week I let it all go and completely trusted my two roommates, Emma and Julia. In the end, we had so much fun and I learned more than we could ever imagine. One thing I struggled with that week was having feelings for a boy that I knew didn’t fit my standards! I mean he could… eventually, in time and if he changed, and Emma brought that to my attention. Thank You!
Through long girl talks at night I learned a lot about Emma, how she is no longer is boy crazy and really doesn’t like any guys at that specific time (until we fell in love the next day! Ahh! (Inside thing)). To be honest I was almost jealous that she had that kind of power and control, compared to her; I seemed to be out of control.
By the time Thursday came around, Emma’s turn to compete had come; she competed in a category called Spoken Word. It’s a cool category; I’ll post a link down below! While we were getting ready for her to compete, we usually jammed to music, but I was in the mood to listen to spoken words. So I went over to my iPod and clicked on one that I had listened to, but it never really stuck with me, (don’t worry, I did ask Emma if it would throw her off to listen to something other than her own). The spoken word was called “I Will Wait For You.” It’s amazing!
So we got ready in with the spoken word droning on in the background, closely I listened to it, “And I will know you. Because when you speak, I will be reminded of Solomon’s wisdom. Your ability to lead will remind me of Moses. Your faith will remind me of Abraham. Your confidence in God’s word will remind me of Daniel. Your inspiration will remind me of Paul. Your heart for God will remind me of David. Your attention to detail will remind me of Noah. Your integrity will remind me of Joseph. And your ability to abandon your own will, will remind me of the disciples. But, your ability to love selfishly and unconditionally will remind me of Christ. But I won’t need to identify you by any special Matthews or any special Marks, because his word will be tatted all over your heart.”
At that part Emma looks at me from across the room… “Does he fit that description?”
Emma always had reminded me of one of my best friends Sophia… but when she asked that question, it was as if Sophia was with me. She always asks the questions that are hard to ask… but easy to answer.
No.
Not yet.
From there I had my answer the hard thing was getting myself to want it. Don’t get me wrong… I wanted to be able to let go, to have those standards set (which I did) but my own desires were blocking it, and it was going to be hard not to let my own human desires block God’s desire for my life.
I thought at that point my lesson for the day had been set, don’t like him because
1.) He doesn’t fit your previously set standards
2.) He doesn’t fit the standards that were added about 5 seconds ago from a spoken word!
But I was wrong. In being one of three teenage girls who had actually gone on the trip, I was the one timing and listening to Emma say her spoken word repeatedly. Every time I listened deeper and deeper into it, I got chills. In her spoken word she talks about her natural desire for:
1.) Material things
2.) To fit in a be “popular”
3.) To find that special someone
Although, by the time she get’s to the end of her spoken word she’s realized that she doesn’t need the material things, she doesn’t need to be popular, and she chooses for her desire to be a perfect spotless bride, because God is Relentless after her. (That was the theme this last year – Relentless after the one.)
Apparently, there was a second lesson of the day...
I had forgotten a goal set up my sophomore year.
-To not date all through High School
-To remain that pure spotless bride
Sadly, I had broken the first one, and yes, it is something I regret, but I did learn from it, so that I will accept it.
After reading Passion and Purity and going through the little things that had happened in Kentuckywith Emma, it made me realize that the things I desired… Even women in the 1940’s desired that… and still to this day even when a girl says that she doesn’t like any boys at the moment, she still struggles with the same things that someone who is still coming off of being boy crazy does.
It is a relief to know that everyone struggles in deciphering the romantic and breathtaking fiction from from your own romantic reality, and choosing to follow God’s desires rather than your own. When you come into contact with the choice between your own human desires and the desires God has for you and you find yourself struggling, the answer is simple. Give it all to God. All of your human desires, everything you are feeling.
Lesson Three: Give it all to God
To Emma: I don’t know if you will read this but thanks for the lesson learned, and I really hope I didn’t say anything that was supposed to be kept to myself. If so I can take this down, but let me know! Love yah!
-Becca
If you are still interested in spoken word, Listen to this one! It gets you thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment