Monday, August 13, 2012

A Hiss of Yes!


This entire summer I have been working hard on the low bar. I would chalk up, then climb up and sit on the bar. I would then put my hands in a circular motion, hoping to gain muscle memory. I would then grip the bar, lift my legs and with my body tired and my legs shaking because I am trying to keep them so straight and so tight. I would lean backwards, shoot my feet back up towards the ceiling, let go and WHACK! On the ground... every time. Rachel would say 1.) You’re straddling too early 2.) You’re shooting your feet backwards not up 3.) It’s a release move, so you have to RELEASE your grip from the bar...The point was to catch the bar not land on a mat with your legs in a straddle.... Therefore, I would get up and do it again.



Well today was the first day of training camp. I had not been in the gym for over two weeks until today, on my way to the gym I wondered to myself. “Becca why are you going? Your straddle cut… you’re just not going to get it. Your layout full… you can’t get it all the way around. You are scared of the beam… what is an extra 26 hours in the gym going to do for you? But I went anyways.



Five hours in and I was ready to go home and sleep... but we finally had an open gym and  I climbed back up on the bar again as I always did, with the same mental and physical routine going on in my head. I put my hands in the circular motion and did some timers. Something was off… and I was thinking about not doing the skill at all today… but I’m glad I did.



I was worried they would be horrible today because I hadn’t done them in so long, but to kill a habit you have to starve it, and that’s what the two weeks did. It killed every bad habit, and let the coaching I had for the past two months take over. I fell backwards and shot my feet up into the air. My feet collided with the bar (not supposed to happen… but it was the first one.) and my hands found the bar and grabbed it…  



I hung under the bar with my mouth wide open. “Did you catch it!?” I hear coach Mykle ask me as I’m hanging there… suddenly it sank in. I finally caught the bar… I caught the bar! Becca Garber, you just caught the bar! It didn’t seem possible, it didn’t seem like reality because it something I really didn’t think I was going to get.



So I got back up and I did it again… This time the bar was in reach and I tapped it. My hands didn’t grab it. The second time my hands tapped it again, but there was no hope in grabbing the bar. The third time, I missed. I was starting to get discouraged. I could see my legs straddling before my hands could release. I could feel it. Maybe it was just a fluke, a one-time thing…



But I got back up and still did the skill. The second time my feet didn’t even hit and my hands grabbed the bar as if they had over the past two months. I let out a “yes!” and everyone looks at me and laughs. However, they weren’t laughing to make fun of me, but to congratulate me on getting the skill. Then I caught it a third, a fourth, and a fifth time. They still aren’t consistent… but the fact is that I’m catching them!



There are two things I learned from today…



1.)              When you are chasing after God… often times we struggle, we want it so bad, but only chase it so much. It would be as if I had just given up on it today, when my body was tired, when something felt “off.” However, you can’t give up.



Often times we are chasing after that moment when we can finally let out a “yes!” But once we let out the “yes!” we take off of our grips and go to a different event without finishing what we started. In other words, we finally get a grasp on a great relationship with God, but then trade him in for worldly things. It’s not fair to you or to God. So stay on the event and let out more cheers until it gets to a point where saying yes! Isn’t even needed and you are seeking a higher skill. (An even BETTER relationship with God!)



2.)              Secondly… to kill a bad habit, you have to starve it! I read that in a book for teenage girls and preparing us for the world… anyways. It relates with gymnastics because of the way I said. I waited two weeks and all that was left was my muscle memory and the coach’s direction over the past two months. The bad thing about a habit is that it is most likely hindering you from obtaining the skill you want.



Relates well with sin, to get rid of it, you have to starve it! Don’t give into it, because just like the bad habits I had when acquiring my skill… it will tear apart your relationship with God, it will keep you from getting to say “yes!” every day!



-So kill your habits (sin) by starving them because they will stop you from getting what you want (or where you want to be in your relationship with God).



-Once you say “yes!” don’t give up… get the skill (relationship) down and then move onto something greater (maybe a better understanding of God’s will… or wherever you are at in your walk with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment