Saturday, November 8, 2014

October: Part Three

My brother and sister had been at a TBQ meet all day, and had no idea that I was coming home, so when I went to go pick them up, they saw my van, with the bouquet of flowers that I caught at Jamie’s wedding in the windshield and Bethany said that she freaked out. Josh asked why I was home, and when I said Chloe, he walked away looking defeated and said disappointingly, “so you didn’t come home for us…”

Umm… no.

Around eight o’clock, Ellie and I left and met at the Schmitz house, but when we knocked nobody answered the door. We called Sophia and she didn’t answer, we called her again, still nothing. So we knocked, nothing. Phoebe was barking, but nobody was answering. We thought about just breaking into the garage with the code and walking through the garage door and finding whoever was home, but eventually someone sat down at the piano and we knocked again. Chloe came up to the door and she was surprised, the first thing she said to me was, “you liar!” I explained that I was planning on staying in Ypsi, until Ellie texted me. I then realized that even the chance at seeing Chloe for only twenty minutes, was worth the drive. Even if I didn’t get to see her, it was still worth it because I would have regretted it if Ellie had been able to see her, and I had stayed in Michigan. Besides, Ellie and I had decided that Mr. and Mrs. Schmitz love us enough that if we were standing at their door, they couldn’t say no to us.

Anyway, we ate cookies, and told our stories about what had happened over the course of our sophomore, and junior years. We looked on Pinterest together, discussed our weddings, apparently the whole Schmitz family is going to be in mine, we talked about where we pass gas the most (yes, that is what we talk about when we are alone, not boys). We watched a couple episodes of impractical jokers, and talked about our lives with each other even more. We sang “this little light of mine” in Mr. and Mrs. Schmitz room, bringing back old memories at Dayspring and eventually our time was up. I hadn’t laughed that hard or been that happy in what seemed like forever.

Sunday I went to church, and studied and comforted my sister as she was still dealing with the death of one of her friends from over the summer. (Please pray for her, she still feels like she could have stopped the suicide). I relaxed at home, and studied, I continued to take medicine, and as someone, I can’t remember who, told me, “woke up and felt like I got punched in the face,” even after my nap.

Yup.

We went to the overflow service Sunday night, and I felt like I knew the direction that God wanted me to go with my life right now, but I didn’t know how or where to start. So I talked to my Mom about it, which led me to talking to Pastor Gary about it. He gave me the same advice as everyone else, which was awesome, but he also gave me vital information through this process.

On our way home, Mom dropped me off at a restaurant so I could hang out with some of the young adults before I left for Ypsilanti once again. That night was awesome, we talked about our most embarrassing moments. Of course, I have one almost every week, but I told a story from last week about Mason throwing his pants at me, so I took them and ran. When I tried to jump onto the ledge in the gym, my shoe slipped on the floor, and I landed face first. That is my life, summed up in a couple of sentences.

Chad took me home, and it was really nice to get to talk with him some more. That night he told me something that had really stuck with me. Sometimes it doesn’t feel like God is moving or working in our lives, but he doesn’t waste any time so clearly he is still working. We just don’t see it. I knew he was right. I said goodbye and thank you, grabbed my laundry paid my mother back for my soda at the restaurant and left for Ypsilanti once again.

That week, I had just a ton of biology homework, and a ton of readings to do for Creative Writing, on top of the biology exam. I realized that I wasn’t drained because of how stressed I was, I was drained because I was tired of “having to know stuff.” But that week was pretty ordinary, nothing too exciting except that I got dinner at T-Bell with Dave, and we went back to his apartment and watched Grace Unplugged until one in the morning. I thought the movie would be stupid, but I really enjoyed it.  

After fund raising, Katie and I went to get coffee and on our way back, we passed my Chi Alpha group doing a worship session. I hadn’t been there in a couple of weeks, so it was really nice to see Pastor Sarah was even more pregnant. When we got back we when to one of the plays in Quirk so that Katie could get extra credit. It was interesting and kind of creepy. We then decided to go to the haunted house in the FYC (First Year Center). I thought it would be lame, but the clown almost made me pee my pants. We finally got out of the section with the strobe light and the insane girl saying “you’ll never make it out,” which made my claustrophobia kick in, and I almost started panicking. But once we found the out, we followed the hallway a little bit to find a door. Katie went to open it, and it opened itself as thee creepiest clown you can picture, blood dripping down the side of it’s griming mouth peeked from behind it. I screamed, and pushed Morgan and Katie through, running.

Friday was Halloween night. I spent it at the gym messing around with Waters, Michaela and Shannon. As I was walking home, it was cold, sleeting and my phone decided to shut off right as I was on my way home. The music stopped and all I could hear was some party going on behind me. That’s when I realized it wasn’t a party, it was my church, so I turned around in the freezing rain, my shoes wet, the wind biting any uncovered limbs, and I went to the worship service.

When I got back, I turned up the heat, made some hot chocolate and Cincinnati Chili and watched some Netflix as it continued to snow outside, and just like that, October was over. Midterm week(s) was/were over and I could finally breathe again. As I sat down and took a moment, I realized that I finally had time to think about something other than the next homework assignment that had to be completed.

Which leads me to November…, which I will tell you all about when it is over.

Until Next Time (or I guess December…),
-Becca




No comments:

Post a Comment