Thursday, November 21, 2013

Move In Day


My college fun started as most students at Eastern Michigan’s did, especially if they were incoming freshman. It started with move in day, we packed up the tiny red car, and as Tyler arrived I greeted him in the driveway, and he went to McDonalds for a morning snack – how typical of him

He arrived back about ten minutes later in his funny looking car; we packed the last few things in it.  We actually ended up waiting for his mother to come grab some things out of his car before we left. I said goodbye to his mom, and the pets and hopped in the car with Tyler as we began the beginning of my college career.

We didn’t really talk about much, knowing what was coming up. We jammed to the radio and I kept him awake because I knew that he was tired. I’m pretty sure we weren’t ready to say goodbye to each other, but we knew that it was best for our future.

When we got to Best Hall we finally pulled in, parked and I had to get into a line to sign a waiver, get my room keys and pick up common orientation things like the schedule for the next couple of days, maps of the campus and other fun things.

Once we had the room keys, I called my parents and gave them the okay to start bringing things in. After unpacking, getting lost on campus, and lunch, getting separated, miss communications, and a long boring speech I was forced to leave down a mysterious hallway onto the football field to meet a ton of strangers.

Group seventy-two… those are the people that you first meet on campus. This very outgoing guy, Active Andrew greeted us. He was dressed in green and white; he carried a huge homemade sign on the end of a stick. Green and white tie-dyed socks went up to his knees, he wore a green sweat band around his head and had those lines on his face right on his cheek bones. He was full of “school spirit.”

We did the usual, learned everyone’s names, played some games and then after that we went to have dinner together. That is when we all gave Active Andrew our phone numbers. I had just been able to get my first cell phone not even fifteen days before orientation, so I was still trying to figure out how to work my iPhone.

After dinner group 72 separated and I went to find Tyler. Apparently we are not good at communicating locations. Eventually I found him and my parents to watch the football game. I think we actually won that game, which is a surprise, our team actually kind of sucks.

Either way, I had been worried about being separated from Tyler. We had gone from seeing each other every day at school, to seeing each other once a week or maybe a little more than that. Now… we may go months without seeing each other. I didn’t know if we could make it, but the game definitely helped with my worries.

You know those couples that single people look at and want to vomit? That was us, and I’m pretty sure you don’t want to know all of the details, but it was great knowing that no matter how long it had been since I had seen him, he would remain my best friend.

During the game, we decided that there were still some things that needed to be taken care of, so we left early. While my parents went out to pick up some last minute necessities, Tyler and I went up to the room to have some fun for the last time for who knows how long.

That was when Bailee, my roommate walked in, after that we decided to make sure we notified the other if we were in the room alone with a guy. It’s not that we were doing anything sketchy; it’s just something she doesn’t want to walk in on. So I texted her telling her that it was okay to come back, because we were back to work anyway on putting our room together.

A couple hours passed by and it was time to say goodbye. I walked my parents out and said goodbye to them individually. I had been dying to get out for at least the last 6-7 years and that moment of saying goodbye, this day, made it all official. I was out, I was finally free.

Tyler’s turn was next. I walked over to the car with him and gave him a hug. “Don’t become a stranger…” he laughed, and promised he wouldn’t. “We can do this… and I will see you soon.” He nodded. What more was there to say? That this wasn’t going to be easy, we knew that. Were we supposed to say vows that nothing would happen, no arguments would arise that we would always talk about our problems in person? It’s not that easy. All I could really say about it is, “Save faster for an iPhone so that we can face time.” He laughed and said that he was.

We said goodbye, and as I walked away and they pulled away, leaving me here at Eastern Michigan, I didn’t cry. I couldn’t cry, college was my dream and it was finally coming true. I had a great roommate, a great room with new everything, it was a great start and I couldn’t wait for the rest of the year.

Here are some photos of move in day: 
He refused to take a picture with me... He said he was too tired... So this is what I get.
Again, at the Eastern game... Go Eagles! Haha 
Our trip to Bed Bath and Beyond to pick up my room supplies... He found a chair that he really liked and he thought "we would enjoy..." that was an interesting conversation with my father... haha 

A panorama of the move in... everything isn't unpacked, but the room was surprisingly huge! haha

Thanks for reading... There's more to come!

Until then, have a great day!

-Bec 

No comments:

Post a Comment