Sunday, December 15, 2013

Hidden Motivation: A Sub-Plot

Something I have learned over the years with writing is that the inspiration has to come from somewhere. Whether its for something so simple as a blog post, or something like a book or short story. The idea sparked because of an image, a word or phrase, a life experience maybe even a song.

There are simple things you question when getting inspiration, like why would someone stand up at a wedding? The song says she was uninvited, so that must mean she was originally invited. What happened? What line was crossed?

Do you see where I am coming from?

When I think about all the small pieces of inspiration that I have while writing a story or blog post I can't help but think that they come from all over. The people I meet, the experiences I have and so on.

Something I have also learned is quite simple, there is also motivation in almost everything you do.

You look at your phone, because you want a text from someone or are expecting one.

I'm writing this post, because I need to get my thoughts out.

I do gymnastics to escape, get my mind off of things, make new friends…

There is always motivation and inspiration!

So where am I going with this?

My mom and I were talking the other day, and I told her that the truth had to come out, and she knew exactly what I was talking about. My book.

My book is something that has always been an idea, but I could never get it out just right. I knew what I wanted to write about, but I didn't know where to start or where to finish. It was confusing!

Until my senior year hit. Something happened that changed my life, turned my world upside down.

Tyler

For those of you who don't know Tyler is my first serious boyfriend, first kiss, first love and so on. Up until this point he is my only and last, and if we get married, he will end up being my first everything. So what makes him so special?

He's where it starts. He's my inspiration. I realized that I could literally start the story with when we met, and end it at our break up back in February.

For a while though, I really didn't have a reason to write it. I mean the break-up lasted for two months and so I got a good forty pages into the story…

And then we got back together.

I no longer had the urge to get it all out in words so that somebody would know how amazing it was to fall in love with someone like him at the age of 17 in a situation like mine. I had no more motivation!

But then it happened… the biggest betrayal of all. The thing that makes the story suddenly all the more interesting!

Things always have a cause and effect, and that is something to keep in mind.

So when I was telling my mom that the truth had to come out, I realized where I was getting my motivation from. If the truth came out in my book, the betrayer would know that I'm not really her friend, I only act like it because we are related, and the person I lost… well they would know the truth behind all the lies that piled up over the summer.

I had my inspiration, ultimately it was Tyler. Telling a love story…

However, the motivation is usually hidden just like so many sub-plots. Only in the end do the sub-plots come out. Like in The Hunger Games, why President Snow always smells like blood and roses, or why Haymitch is always getting wasted. Their motivation is hidden until later in the story, and I didn't realize it but so was mine.

My motivation was suddenly clear. I wanted to get the truth out, and through a large sub-plot that nobody sees coming.

I always wanted to write a great book that should be taught or discussed in schools, because of the questions that arise from it. Were the odds really in Peeta's favor? *spoiler alert* he gets the girl… if it weren't for The Hunger Games he wouldn't. I want people to question my books like I question The Hunger Games.

I want people to wonder if the person I lost, ever was really my friend. I want people to question the sanity of the person who betrayed me. What does she care about? Does she have a multiple personality disorder? Or is it all for show?

Getting the truth out, I realized at that point, was the reason I wanted to write the books. People have to know what a great friendship is like. What a horrible situation can do to a family, how heartbreaking it is when your hero breaks up with you and leaves you to fend for yourself knowing what you're going through. When your worst enemy pushes you over the edge setting her devious plan into motion and eventually stealing one of the things you held most dear to you.

So in that being said. My inspiration is simple, the main idea of my story. My motivation is a hidden sub-plot that changes the whole course of the series.

So next time you write, or blog… take a moment to think about where your inspiration is coming from.

Sure you may be thinking about your boyfriend when you are writing the piece about a girl who loves a guy, but you know that he is going to break the girls heart so you describe him as the last guy that broke your heart. However, until the point where they break up, you describe his words, his actions, his voice about the guy you currently love.

And not until you are completely done writing, until it's turned into the the teacher, or editor or submitted as a blog post to be read a year later, do you realize that you described two different people and your inspiration was your boyfriend at the time, but your motivation was the last time your heart was broken…

What's your motivation?

When you show love to a homeless person, is it because you are feeling bad, or because you have decided to show God's love?

When you give grace or forgiveness to someone, is it because they deserve it? Or because we show God's love and mercy through our own actions?

When I told my mom, that I wanted to get the truth out, I meant about our lives, the betrayal, the good and the bad, but I also want to get Jesus out.

That truth.

I want the world to know what he has brought us through and the blessings that have been in our lives and that are still to come!

So I will ask again, what is your motivation?


No comments:

Post a Comment