Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Imperfect Pictures Are My Favorite

One thing I have noticed about the girls in high school and junior high now, is that they care, and way too much. They make sure that their hair is perfect, and their make-up is hiding everything before they take a picture. If they are wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants, the pictures just won't do. A good portion of them refuse to take funny photos, especially when it comes to things like homecoming and prom. None of the photos are purposefully messed up, none of them are spontaneous, and that sucks… because they are some of my favorite photos.

When I was younger I was like that too, I cared about what I looked like every time I went out. Every time a picture snapped, I wanted to make sure that I looked decent. I cared that I had just got out of practice, and that I was a sweaty mess. I cared about what pictures I would be tagged in on social media and what boys saw those pictures and then what they thought about me once they saw them. However, somewhere along the line things changed.

Maybe I grew up and realized it was better to capture the moment, than to worry about what people thought about me. Maybe I just stopped caring what people thought about me. If they didn't like me who really cared? People come and go all the time, it's the ones who make an effort to stick around that you should really care about.

Either way, the whole idea was that I thought that the homecoming and prom pictures would be my favorite. My hair is curled, make-up is done and I'm wearing some sort of stunning dress, but once you grow up, you realize it's not the way things work out.

Some of the best photo's I have taken, I have been sweaty and covered in chalk from practice, or if I did look nice from a dance, or "going out" it's the funnier ones that are my favorite. The ones where I am wearing leotards, and sweatpants, my hair is a mess, or I just got done swimming… are the best.

The point is, that I've learned that it is more important to capture the moment, no matter what you are wearing or how you look. Maybe you did just come from the gym, and you don't feel like joining in on the picture because you know you don't look your best. Join anyway, because later on in life, you're going to look at that picture and think, "Wow, I worked hard that day… and was still having fun with the team afterwards." or "who cares what I looked like… I had a blast with my best friend afterwards."

It doesn't matter how good you look in the pictures, it's the fact that you made that picture unique. So wear the sweatpants in the pictures, take the funny photos and just have fun… because in the end it's not going to matter what dress you wore to prom, or how well the hair stylist did your make-up and hair. It will matter that you had fun taking the pictures, you had fun getting ready, you had fun at the meet, or the dance, or any competition or you just had fun at cedar point. The memories are what matter, not how you looked when you were making them!

Until Next Time!
-Becca

Some of my favorite imperfect photo's:

It had been raining, our hair was wet from the rain and swimming. It's frizzy and we aren't wearing make-up, we are wearing sweatshirts and my blonde hair is coming in (my color definitely needed a touch up…) But it doesn't matter. She's my best friend… 

Here's a good one! This was the day that my first serious boyfriend broke up with me (the first time). Sophia called me, and I starts bawling when she asked what happened. I said I didn't know. So she told me that after practice, she was going to come pick me up, and I was going to spend the rest of the night laughing and having fun. Not only had I been crying all day… I had been at gymnastics practice… But I will never not love this picture, because this hang out session was last minute, and it showed me how much my friends loved, cared, and supported me. 

My little cousin and I… Under a sweatshirt, I'm wearing my uniform T-shirt, I'm not wearing much make-up and honestly, the beginning to this day was awful… 

Where do I start with this picture? I just got out of the shower, my hair was wet, cheeks are red, and the day was awful. If it wasn't for these two girls and Tyler… I don't even know… This day… I will never forget, and again it's one of those days that makes me appreciate and love my friends even more! 

Our typical "funny" photo… Make the memories!

Fire drill! Wearing uniforms, and t-shirts, in the middle of giving pedicures… 

Wearing sunscreen on our cheeks, t-shirts, bathing suits… 

Wearing team jackets, t-shirts and jeans… making funny faces…




Yes, it's typical that the graduation pictures would be my favorite… it was a big day. But think about it. You're wearing a drape that is too big for you and a hat that is the shape of a square… 

Got the powder from our gloves smeared on my sleeve. Wearing those stupid smocks, nervous, and haven't eaten because of nerves… The day of state board… one of the biggest days of our lives.

Again… a gown that is too big… but still one of my favorites.

Wearing sweatshirt and jeans… but having fun with the teammates! <3

Who needs a regular picture when you have fun ones like this?

Funny faces, headbands, and t-shirts…

Week in Wyandotte… Tired, sweaty, hot and funny faces.

Week In Wyandotte… Still tired, sweaty, and in t-shirts.

Those pictures that you take on a whim!

Sweatshirts, and funny… but still fun 

T-shirts and smocks. After a day of nerves, little sleep and hard work… 

Leotards… and not even looking at the camera.

Sweatshirts…

We aren't wearing dresses, we aren't super tan, and our hair isn't perfect… but this picture is.

Those funny moments… like petting the wall!

Week In Wyandotte!

Sweatpants and team jackets!

Sweatshirts, after a night of being scared to death!

Sweatshirts and funny faces…

One of my favorite memories… and still saddest day of my life… 



T-shirt and sports shorts… playing cards :)


Sweatshirts, t-shirts and randomly taken :)

I mean… we are wearing life jackets… 

Best friends 

I Love this picture with him more than I ever loved my prom photos with him… 

11 hour car ride, team jacket and yoga pants… my socks don't even match! 

Just got out of practice, and wearing a tank top… but we didn't care.

Our funny faces.

We put on all our christmas presents from each other…

After competing… sweaty, chalky, and in need of spray and deodorant

I mean… we are in leotards…

I think this one speaks for itself

After another long, sweaty meet! 

Another meet!

During Gymnastics Practice!

Now… I think I made my point. You don't have to be dressed like a princess, and have your hair done as such… in order to take the best pictures… Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment