Thursday, September 4, 2014

God In The 21st Century

I was going to do a different post about how my first week back to college went, and how the first day of classes ran so smoothly. I was going to tell how my apartment was prayed for and blessed before I even had a chance to eat a meal inside of it. However, I had my second class of my sophomore year this morning and as he was closing the class, he told us a little bit of his childhood.

As he told about his childhood he explained that he grew up in a parsonage, and that his father was the Pastor of the local Christian church. He said that he grew up believing what his father taught, but as science expanded and there were numerous discoveries. He said – referring to the faith - that he “had to grow up and live in this century and not the 20th Century.”

As I sat there I thought about what he had just said, he was suggesting that being a Christian and serving God was not something that was 21st century…

He talked the whole class about it being the 21st century and that we are so technologically advanced, that even though some people are living in this time biologically, they are still living in the past. They refuse to use the internet and cell phones, they still watch old school cable, and there are even the Amish (not bashing them, I love them and they are great people, I’m just using them as an example).

When he said that, he was absolutely right! And I agreed with him on the topic until he mentioned that the science was advancing so much that he had to walk away from his faith. According to him, as I took it, Christianity is not something that is in this century. Serving God is something that is in the past because science had proven that the world had been around for longer than the bible has stated.

I refuse to believe that, science does prove his existence. It has to! I also refuse to believe that Jesus is “so last century.” Serving God should be something that people are doing every day, in every aspect of their lives. I’m sure I’ll run into arguments with him about the topic, but for now, I just want to resolve to make serving God something that is for NOW and not LAST CENTURY!

God has done so much in my life within the last eight months, that it is IMPOSSIBLE that God is overrated. Maybe one day I’ll tell him my story and everything that God has done for me. If God was something that was in the past, why was he moving in my life and speaking to me about his future plans for me over the summer?

“Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday today and forever.” – Hebrews 13:8

“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.” –Revelation 1:8 (NLT)

Quoting a part of one of my favorite spoken words, “I serve the author of time, who is not subject to time, but I’m subject to him. He has the ability to stop, fast-forward, pause or rewind at any given time!”

Yes, it is taken out of context, but it still describes him in a way that is so very true, and shows that in the circle of time, God sits outside the circle. It has no effect on him whatsoever. So to say that God is something of the past, is wrong, He is something of the past, present and future, and we should live our lives in a way that shows that he is still moving and working today!

That’s it for today!


-Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment